Have you ever wanted to immerse yourself in the wonderful world of animals right here in the UK? If so, at Quingo Scooters we’ve got the perfect place for you this week. With indoor and outdoor enclosures, Twycross Zoo is the place to explore a wide range of species from penguins to monkeys, even getting an up-close view of their lives! With over 500 animals and 100 different species to discover, there’s so much to see and do at this incredible zoo. There are literally hundreds of reasons why this award-winning conservation charity pulls in so many visitors each year.
We’re heading to the Leicestershire and Warwickshire border to discover the amazing animals living here.
- Primates: With the largest collection of monkeys and apes in the Western world, there’s a reason Twycross Zoo is known as ‘the World Primate Centre’. Hailing from Asia, Africa, South and Central America and even the edge of Europe, discover these primates enjoying a well-designed environment. From baboons to spider-monkeys, you’ll learn all you’ve ever wanted to know about primates. With the animals free to roam and explore, expect some monkey business!
Coming soon: Look out for the new chimpanzee habitat coming in 2018! Here you’ll be able to explore as 18 chimps are all at touching distance – from each side and even over your head. This specially-built habitat will include climbing frames purposely designed to mimic a wild environment. You’ll be transported into the jungle to immerse yourself in the world of chimpanzees!
- Other animals: There’s more to see at Twycross Zoo than just primates! You can expect to see a wide range of animals – from giraffes and zebras to meerkats and penguins. From big mammals to hundreds of insects and invertebrate – more than 500 animals are cared for here!
You can even adopt your favourite animal! It’s a unique gift perfect for all animal lovers and includes a photo of the animal, a soft toy and even a ticket into the zoo. The money made through animal adoptions contributes to animal conservation in the zoo and across the world.
Must see: Twycross Zoo even cares for the Amur leopard – the world’s rarest big cat. This is a must see!
- EggZOOburant Easter (24 March – 15 April): Specially designed for Easter, this egg hunt will take you through the zoo where you’ll meet characters from Paw Patrol and PJ Masks, and even be one of the first to explore the new chimpanzee habitat. The little ones will love this!
- Conservation Talk – The Lemur Conservation Association (13 March): If you love lemurs, this is the perfect place for you. Working in association with the Lemur Conservation Association, this talk will explore the research and conservation activity of the organisation so far. You’ll also learn all about the work to ensure the survival of the critically endangered Blue-eyed black lemur – with special lemur guests!
- Zooniversity 2018 (20 August- 24 August): This is especially for teenagers aged between 15 and 18, who can discover more about endangered animals, global conservation areas, zoo ethics, animal behaviours and world habitats.
- Daily animal talks: Running every day from 1 January to 24 December, these animal talks are fascinating! Carried out by enthusiastic and knowledgeable Education Rangers, these 10-minute talks are perfect for discovering everything you ever wanted to know about your favourite animals. The schedule can be found here – the penguin parade is a must see!
- Animal experiences: This is a once in a lifetime experience! With animal experiences that allow you to get closer to your favourite animals and quiz the keepers about the marvellous animals. You might even be able to get involved in the feeding!
Eating and drinking
If you’re eating at Twycross Zoo, you’ll find plenty of options! The View Restaurant is perfect for any meal of the day, with tasty menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
If you’re looking for a good place for a quick drink, try the Vine Café which serves popular drinks from Costa Coffee. An in-house baker prepares a delicious range of house toasties.
At the Twycross Fish Bar, you’ll find the nation’s favourite dish! Here you’ll find cod, scampi, fish fingers and much more.
Opening times and prices
Twycross Zoo is open every day of the year, excluding Christmas Day. From 25 March, it is open from 10am to 6pm. In the winter season, opening times are 10am to 5pm. Prices vary, with the full information available here.
Located on the A444, this attraction is accessible by car and bus. If you are travelling by car, the postcode is CV9 3PX and can be found by following the brown attraction signs. Blue Badge parking is provided in the on-site car park. There are a number of buses which also service the area. Further information is available here.
Twycross Zoo is fully accessible to all visitors. There are smooth pathways throughout the attraction, including the cafés. Several fully accessible toilets can also be found throughout. The car park includes a section entirely dedicated to Blue Badge parking, which is free for all visitors. More information on accessibility is available here.
The Quingo Scooter range features six models to suit your needs and budget. New models are now available from just £22/week on our new contract hire scheme, which includes all servicing and maintenance, Insurance, Roadside Recovery, Call Outs and Consumables including Batteries and Tyres. For more information on this, or the latest Quingo Scooter range, please visit our website. Alternatively, if you have any service questions you can always contact us or call customer services on 01582 430 900.
Keep up-to-date with the latest mobility scooter advice, tips and interesting places to visit on the Quingo Scooter Users Blog. Connect with Quingo and keep up-to-date with all our latest news on Facebook and Twitter.
All Quingo Personal Mobility Vehicles are provided by Forever Active, the UK’s exclusive distributor. Forever Active is a trading name of Advantage Marketing Corporation Limited (AMC). AMC Limited is an appointed representative of First Senior Insurance Services Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. First Senior Insurance Services FSA Register number is 308478.