Here at Quingo Scooters we like to provide you with a range of great UK attractions to visit as part of our Accessible Attractions series – this week we’ve chosen a quirky attraction to teach you all about one of the UK’s most popular spirits. We’re staying in Scotland for another week, to teach you everything you need to know about whisky!
We’re visiting The Scotch Whisky Experience, on a barrel ride through a replica distillery to find out more about the production of whisky. Along the way, you’ll hear the stories behind the craft of whisky making with expert tour guides and whisky advisors.
The whisky experience
Discover aromas and flavours that appeal to your palate, leading you to find your perfect Single Malt Whisky. The Whisky collection includes 3,384 bottles of Scotch Whisky, and is held within a marble and glass vault. Visitors get the chance to taste a Scotch Whisky.
Claive Vidiz, a whisky enthusiast in Sao Paulo, started to seek and buy Scotch Whisky of each varying type, cost and rarity. Over 35 years he collected almost 3,500 bottles, before selling the collection to Scotch Whisky distiller Diageo. Diageo brought the collection to Scotland where it became the Scotch Whisky Experience.
The Experience offers five tours, ranging from those for first-timers to whisky pros. Four of the five tours are for people aged 18 and over.
- The Gold Tour – includes a tasting tray of four single malt Scotch whiskies, membership to the Scotch Whisky Appreciation Society and discounts at the bar, restaurant and shop within the membership year; as well as including elements from the Silver Tour. The Gold Tour lasts between 70 and 90 minutes.
- Morning Masterclass – includes a private viewing of the world’s largest collection of Scotch Whisky, sensory perception test, nosing of new-make spirit and boxed crystal whisky tasting glass, plus much more! The Morning Masterclass lasts 90 minutes.
- The Platinum Tour – includes a whisky barrel ride through the production of Scotch whisky, guided nosing and tasting of four contrasting single malt whiskies and an extended viewing of the collection of Scotch Whisky. The Platinum Tour lasts 90 minutes.
- The Taste of Scotland – includes features from the Platinum tour as well as: a three course Scottish food experience menu, dram of Scotch whisky with dessert and a ‘trio’ starter and ‘trio’ main course followed by dessert. This tour lasts approximately 3 hours.
- The Silver Tour – includes a whisky barrel ride through the production of Scotch Whisky, a dram of Scotch Whisky (Irn Bru for under 18s) and a viewing of the Scotch whisky collection. The tour is available to people aged under 18 and runs for 50 minutes.
Entry prices and opening times
The Experience is open 7 days a week, 364 days a year. From January to March the experience is open from 10am – 5pm, April to July 10am – 6pm, August (Monday to Friday) 10am – 5pm, August (Saturday and Sunday) 10am – 5:40pm, and September to December 10am – 5pm.
Each tour provided includes a specific price:
- The Gold Tour – adults £26 and concessions £23.75
- Morning Masterclass – adults £40
- The Platinum Tour – adults £36.50
- The Taste of Scotland – adults £70
- The Silver Tour – adults £15, concessions £13, children £7.50 and families £37
For more information, visit the website here.
The Scotch Whisky Experience is in the Old Town of Edinburgh, beside Edinburgh Castle. The Experience is located just a short distance from the main transport links, central hotels and attractions.
For visitors travelling by train, the nearest railway station is Edinburgh Waverley, from here public transport and/or taxis can be used to get to the Experience.
When travelling by bus, there are no buses that go directly to the Scotch Whisky Experience however there are many stops in the surrounding area. For information regarding bus routes and times, visit the Lothian Buses website.
By car, follow directions for ‘city centre’ and ‘attractions’, the Experience does not have onsite parking, however there is a multi-storey car park on Castle Terrace a short distance from the Experience, which includes 6 blue badge bays. Alternative parking options are available throughout the city.
For more information on travelling to the Whisky Experience, visit the website here.
The Whisky Experience is fully accessible to scooter users, there is a lift to allow visitors access to each level of the Experience as well as multiple disabled toilets. For more information regarding accessibility, visit the website here.
The Quingo Scooter range features six models to suit your needs and budget. New models are now available from just £22/week on our new contract hire scheme, which includes all servicing and maintenance, Insurance, Roadside Recovery, Call Outs and Consumables including Batteries and Tyres. For more information on this, or the latest Quingo Scooter range, please visit our website. Alternatively, if you have any service questions you can always contact us or call customer services on 01582 430 900.
Keep up-to-date with the latest mobility scooter advice, tips and interesting places to visit on the Quingo Scooter Users Blog. Connect with Quingo and keep up-to-date with all our latest news on Facebook and Twitter.
All Quingo Personal Mobility Vehicles are provided by Forever Active, the UK’s exclusive distributor. Forever Active is a trading name of Advantage Marketing Corporation Limited (AMC). AMC Limited is an appointed representative of First Senior Insurance Services Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. First Senior Insurance Services FSA Register number is 308478.