Quingo Scooters are back with another fun, family day out for all the family to enjoy, this week we’re heading to the north west of England for an attraction perfect for animal lovers! Where are we this week?
Blackpool Zoo is a multi-award-winning family favourite with everything from zebras and penguins to giraffes and sea lions. As well as many animals calling Blackpool Zoo their home, it boasts incredible displays including the UK’s best sea lion display, an impressive array of birds and a host of animal experiences
- Gorilla Mountain – Gorilla Mountain is one of the most popular enclosures, offering natural surroundings for a family of Western Lowland gorillas. The island is accessed from their outside paddock and they spend much of their time there, enjoying the sunshine during summer and foraging for scattered food.
- Lemur Wood – Lemur Wood was one of the UK’s first walk-through zoo enclosures, offering the chance to walk through with the stars of the DreamWorks’ film ‘Madagascar’. Popular with young visitors, there are three species of lemur in the enclosure, the lemurs enjoy jumping across the walkway to say hello to their visitors.
- Active Oceans – Active Oceans consists of the zoo’s sea lion pool – the largest in the UK – a seating area for 400 people and a penguin pool with underwater viewing. Twice daily, the sea lions display their natural behaviours which are explained by their trainers. The Magellanic penguins are the only ones of their type in the UK – they love to meet visitors through the underwater glass.
- Big Cats – the Big Cat House is home to African lions and Amur tigers, slotted in between the two is the meerkat enclosure – another popular destination. The lions enjoy a multi surface outdoor enclosure with a heated ‘rock’, with many hiding places for food the lions use their great sense of smell to find their meat.
- Elephant and Reptile House – Asian elephants have been residents at Blackpool Zoo since its first opening in 1972, the indoor area of the elephant house is shared with a large collection of reptiles and invertebrates (insects), as well as two tanks of fish. Other species in the house include snakes, lizards, amphibians, tarantulas and much more.
Entry prices and opening times
The zoo is open every day from 10am, with the exception of Christmas Day when the zoo is closed. The closing times vary throughout the year, it is advised to check the closing times of the zoo when booking tickets online or planning your trip. For more information, visit the website here.
Online entry prices to the zoo are £13.99 for adults, £11.99 for senior citizens and students and £10.99 for children (3-15 years). Gate entry prices to the zoo are £17.99 for adults, £15.99 for senior citizens and students and £13.50 for children (3-15 years). There are a range of group ticket options available for visitors to the zoo, for more information visit the website here.
Blackpool Zoo is just two miles inland from the attractions of the famous Blackpool Golden Mile. For visitors travelling by car, follow the M6 to junction 32 and take the M55 to junction 4, then follow the ‘brown elephant’ signs to the zoo.
For visitors travelling by bus, Blackpool Transport provides daily bus services to the zoo on lines 15 and 16, running every 30 minutes from Blackpool Town Centre, Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Marton Mere Holiday Park.
For visitors travelling by train, trains run from two stations in Blackpool, it is recommended to use Blackpool North Station which is 5 minutes from the town centre.
For more information on travelling to the zoo, visit the website here.
There is level access throughout the whole of the zoo for scooters users, there are viewing options available at many of the enclosures to ensure that all visitors can view the animals. There are four toilet blocks on site, each including accessible toilets. The zoo offers level parking for up to 400 vehicles, including 12 dedicated spaces for blue badge holders, there is a parking charge of £2.50 per day. For more information regarding accessibility, visit the website here.
The Quingo Scooter range features six models to suit your needs and budget. New models are now available from just £22/week on our new contract hire scheme, which includes all servicing and maintenance, Insurance, Roadside Recovery, Call Outs and Consumables including Batteries and Tyres. For more information on this, or the latest Quingo Scooter range, please visit our website. Alternatively, if you have any service questions you can always contact us or call customer services on 01582 430 900.
Keep up-to-date with the latest mobility scooter advice, tips and interesting places to visit on the Quingo Scooter Users Blog. Connect with Quingo and keep up-to-date with all our latest news on Facebook and Twitter.
All Quingo Personal Mobility Vehicles are provided by Forever Active, the UK’s exclusive distributor. Forever Active is a trading name of Advantage Marketing Corporation Limited (AMC). AMC Limited is an appointed representative of First Senior Insurance Services Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. First Senior Insurance Services FSA Register number is 308478.